Ashley Furniture Free Standard Shipping

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Choosing Right Curtains for Your Room: Problems and Solutions

It is not always a easy task to choose right curtains for your room. In this article, I am going to share my own experience that I gained while choosing curtains for my main bedroom.This seems quite a lot of experiments with curtains. Hope you will enjoy reading this article.

Problem 1:

After moving to a new house  I found that my old curtains are not enough for windows in the new house. Although I could cover up windows of second and third bedrooms with old curtains, I did not have enough curtain left for master bedroom and living room windows.

Solution 1:
I brought three window panels for Master Bedroom as shown in picture 1.

Picture 1: First Experiment with Window Treatment for Main Bedroom



Problem 2:

After buying these three curtains, I felt, I should have brought Five curtains instead of three.   Also,  they seem quite pale in real (although looked good in photo).

Solution 2:
I brought two more curtains. However, in order to give this window treatment  brighter look, I went for orange shade instead of green.

Problem 3:

I hang the curtains with orange shades in between the green ones and suddenly realized that the combination was too perfect, not for the master bedroom windows but the living room windows.

Solution 3:
Curtains were set for living room windows.

Picture 2:Living Room

Problem 4:

The size of living room windows were smaller than that of bedroom windows. I put four curtains  and as those curtains were heavy, I did not want to put extra load on the curtain rod. I was left with one green curtains for my master bedroom.

Solution 4:
I did not want to buy 5 more new curtains for my bedroom. Instead, I brought four inexpensive curtains to be matched with that single green shade curtain in the middle.

Picture 3: Second Experiment with Window Treatment for Main Bedroom


Problem 5:

While buying the new four curtains from store, curtains with solid green shades looked off white in store. However at home, these seemed matched with the existing green stripe but not with other two new ones. Also, all together, these curtains were not looking bright at all.


Solution 5:
I took out the curtain with green stripe and brought two new chocolate shade curtains with offwhite floral design to create brightness and contrast at the same time.


Picture 4: Third Experiment with Window Treatment for Main Bedroom

Problem 6:
Unfortunately, the new chocolate curtains turned too sheer and greenish curtains seemed totally inconsistent.


Solution 6: 
I found the above chocolate and off white combination worked so well without those greenish curtains. Although, the curtains were too sheer for my master bedroom, I did like those so much that I decided to immediately hang it for the guest bedroom.


Picture 5: Guest Bedroom
Problem 7:
So, what about the window treatment for my master bedroom?

Solution 7: 
By now I have learned about my needs regarding curtains for master bedroom. Curtains in my master bedroom  should meet the following criteria:
  • Bright
  • Colourful
  • Not too sheer
  • Not to heavy
  • No blackout
And, of course, I am not going to buy any new curtains for long. 
So, I combined extra set of curtains from second and third bedroom and put those on main bedroom windows. Although the result is not an excellent job, I am happy that I could come up with this solution which not only met the above criteria, but also helped me to finalize makeover for other rooms in terms of window treatment.

Picture 6: Final Experiment with Window Treatment for Main Bedroom



2 comments:

Ashley Furniture Up to 50% Off - Decor Shop